HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:06 am 

I cannot stress the importance on not just doing a reference check but personally checking their work. Let us know how it goes. I would love it get the light with you but I cannot let anyone work in my house before I see him do the work at others...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:45 pm 

Hi Stef,
What are some of the good quality potlights or brands that I should be looking for from the potlight guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:37 pm 

So, I found a guy who has done some potlights in the Derry/10th line area. I called the guy and he said he charges $60/light and uses Lightline brand. I inquired about Contrat Lighting or Juno Lighting and he said that it is rougly $10/more. I am thinking of asking him if he can do Juno Lighting for $60/light as it is a Schneider Electric brand and being an electrical engineering I know Schneider is a good quality brand. Any other things I need to worry about?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:43 am 

Reena ... can you post his phone number?

Do you think he is a reliable guy? How much does he charge for upstairs?

Did he give you any references?

I am closing on Jan 8th, and have to get potlights installed within a week after my closing as I am plannnig to move-in by Jan 15th.

Let me know ...

Regards,
-Riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:15 pm 

Hi,
The guy's name is Surjit. His number is 416-456-8790. I havent seen his work personally so cannot comment on his workmanship but heard of him from a friend who got his card while he was installing potlights in Derry/10th line area. Please let me know if you use him. I am just a little apprehensive due to some problems I had with a contractor and hence I dont want anyone doing any work in my house before I thoroughly check their work...

I take no responsibility on the quality of his workmanship. My lawyer told me to put that in there ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:55 am 

I definitely want into this group buy if its still happening..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 pm 

I got my potlights done from Mr. Polight (http://www.mrpotlight.com). John was really good to work with. Switches, Wiring and Potlight installation was all included in the price. I paid $79 for the ground floor and $100 for upstairs (as they used insulated boxes).

There was absolutely no mess at all. All work was done very nicely. He even threw in couple dimmers for free. I got quotes from other places, but they seemed to be best priced and had good workmanship. John is a licensed electrician as well, so you won't have any problems.

I would highly recommend him if you want to get potlights done for your home. The only thing is, he will only come to Milton if you want 20+ potlights in your house.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

-Riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:12 pm 

I was planning to get John in here, but still waiting for Mattamy to fix my smooth ceilings. No potlights for me until all has been resolved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:00 pm 

Interested in this as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:31 pm 

I used him last year, crew of two. They did a very good job, I had about 18 pot lights done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:49 pm 

BUMP

I've been recommended too by a couple of people to Mr. Potlight... I haven't really done much shopping around yet though as I don't close until October.

A question raised earlier, how will this look on a stippled ceiling? $1000 per level is a lot for smooth ceilings, especially since I have THREE floors as I have mainstreet detached home...

Also, is waiting for the ceiling and the house still necessary before installation?

Before seeing this thread I had my first structural appointment and had initially wanted to get potlights from Mattamy, but after seeing this thread the savings are ridiculous! I'm assuming it's not that big of a deal for these electricians to do the rewiring after the fact?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 pm 

How about homes that already has roughed in potlights? We moved in to a house that has tons of roughed in potlights. Anybody know how much for those?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:07 pm 

I don't close until late 2010 but I'd like to get all the info I need. Mattamy wants $213 per pot light. If I can get it installed cheaper, I will. What I don't understand is how can an electrician install potlights and dimmer switches after closing and not damage the ceiling or walls? Does anyone have a video on how this is done? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:37 am 

samsvoc wrote:
I don't close until late 2010 but I'd like to get all the info I need. Mattamy wants $213 per pot light. If I can get it installed cheaper, I will. What I don't understand is how can an electrician install potlights and dimmer switches after closing and not damage the ceiling or walls? Does anyone have a video on how this is done? Thanks.

I don't have a video, but I got this done for my house, and it was absolutely no mess and/or breaking of drywalls after closing. My suggestion, do not pay mattamy for it ... not even for roughings ... you don't need it ....

contact http://www.mrpotlight.com (John) and he'll be able to install potlights without a mess!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:03 pm 

When installing pot lights (let's say in the dining room) if the electrician feeds the wires to the pot lights from the main centre light, does this mean when I turn on the pot lights, the centre light will turn on as well? What would I need to do in order to have the centre light and pot lights to turn on separately? Would the electrician have to install another electrical box, switch? Or is it better to have Mattamy install one pot light and switch so then I can have more pot lights installed after closing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next