HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:41 am 

I have 24 new 3" potlights for sale. only $5 each and extra GU10 bulbs only $1 each.

See post below for pics:

http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/ ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:21 pm 

I want in on the Group Buy as well. My closing is in May 2009, so Sept/Oct 2009 is perfect for me.. I am figuring about 20 potlights myself.
Please PM me when we are going ahead with this.

Thanks,
Rehannah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:02 pm 

Thanks for posting that link. I've got Alex from Maple Leaf electric coming over tomorrow to install exterior pot lights. Great to see that they got excellent reviews!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:13 am 

Gecko:
How much is he charging you per potlight? Would you mind sharing please?

Thanks
-Riaz

Post subject: potlights
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:20 am 

I think we should be able to get an amzing deal with the amount of ppl interested. We just moved into our new home. Waiting for the settling, then 30 day.

Looks like we'll be getting the ball rolling in early spring (Want to do it so bad now, but the trades will continue to come in to fix up the ceilings as the house settles.... we already have a few areas of concern).

Will keep everyone posted. I'm guessing $65 - $70 per potlight on the main floor, maybe $80 on 2nd??? Maybe slightly lower or higher...

"Power in Numbers!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:27 am 

Spring might not be a good time. I spoke to John at mr. potlight few times and he said that his business is slow in Jan/Feb. time frame. I was waiting for you Zee-shan but if you are thinking spring time then I might try to get the ball rolling a little earlier if you dont mind. I have about 30-35 lights that I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:48 am 

with early spring, I meant March end. If Feb is the magic month, we can try to co-ordinate for then.

Seems like John keeps changes his prices depending on who calls :)

What we can do is have a last call around January (after XMas).

I'll consolidate the total clients and number of potlights. Call him, and 2 other electricians with the final total numbers and negotiate like hell.

We can then take it from there and make our commitments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:58 am 

I am closing on Jan 8th, and want to get the potlights done ASAP, so I'll be contacting John or someone else to come and do my potlights. I have about 25 potlights to be installed throughout the house.

Quote:
Potlights from $70 per potlight on main floor and $80 on a second floor installed . !! NOT Rona or Home Depot cheap 3"" pot lights !! ++CANADAPOTLIGHTS.COM ++

Outdoor from $100
Licensed professional electricians will install recessed lights
Halogen, CFL, Low voltage
MR16, PAR16, PAR20, GU10

Absolutely NO damage or mess
NO crown molding needed.

Fully licensed and insured.

Minimum order 10 lights

Call for free estimate 647-886-3327

I found this person on Kijiji, and I will be calling him to see if he can do my potlights. There was another person I found on Kijiji, and he was charging $50/potlight (his number is 647-502-9407).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:14 am 

Rino, please check their work personally before letting them touch your house. I have had a really bad experience with contractors recently so wont let anyone do work in my house before I see their recent work. Please keep us in the loop who you choose to go with...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:32 am 

I agree with Reena.

On a side note, we want ours done ASAP too, but honestly, it's better to wait a bit.

Reason being: The ceilings might shift (especially noticable when you have smooth ceilings) or the workmanship might be shotty when you move in (as it is in our case in certain areas).

Its going to take Mattamy a while to fix it. Now add the house settling effect.

If you do your potlights right away, Mattamy might blame any ceiling issues on the potlight contractor and/or might not come back to fix related ceiling issues as you have installed lights after the fact.

Plus, the town of milton inspectors, etc.... have a tendancy to come in after close (so I've heard from a friend who had to pay some $$$)

Either way, best of luck. A few things to consider. Let us know what price you get, and how satisfied you are with the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:01 pm 

That is some great information above! I am looking for crown molding person as well so let the suggestions/recommendations roll :).

THanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:02 pm 

rino wrote:
Gecko:

Thanks
-Riaz

$100 per for exterior potlights. I think his price is around $70 for interior. While not spectacular, it's pretty much the going rate.

I actually had Mattamy run a single potlight for me (so that I could get the electrical run up there and switch in the main hall for free). Their price was $270 if I remember correctly (that's their price per potlight).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:02 pm 

Gecko wrote:
rino wrote:
Gecko:

Thanks
-Riaz

$100 per for exterior potlights. I think his price is around $70 for interior. While not spectacular, it's pretty much the going rate.

I actually had Mattamy run a single potlight for me (so that I could get the electrical run up there and switch in the main hall for free). Their price was $270 if I remember correctly (that's their price per potlight).

Where did you had Mattamy install the potlight if the switch is in the main hall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:18 pm 

rrknight wrote:
Where did you had Mattamy install the potlight if the switch is in the main hall?

We picked one spot in the soffit that we knew would have a potlight anyway. Think of it as Mattamy giving your electrician a hand by doing one of them when the house is built. I would have only had Mattamy install the switch + wire run to the soffit, but they didn't go for that, they wanted to install the whole light fixture. :wink:

If you have a conduit in your attic (about $200 from Mattamy), your electrician can still run your electrical for you (it's just extra work) and give you a switch in your main foyer. If you don't have a conduit and didn't get Mattamy to rough in the electrical run, I suspect they would have to tap into a recepticle on your second floor to get power out there - and that means your potlight switch will have to be on the second floor as well. Not the preferred location.

I had Mattamy do the same thing for interior potlights (had them install a switch + 1 capped electrical box per room). It's not hard for electricians to install switches in this scenario, but I'm not an electrician, I just preferred to install my interior potlights myself and this way, I had Mattamy do the hard work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 am 

Thanks to all who responded.

I'll check out the sites to confirm before I let someone work on my house, and also will check references as well.

So, I got a call back from this guy named "Ron" and he said he'll put potlights on ground floor for $50/potlight. 1st floor with insulation would be $70/potlight. He'll charge $100/switch extra (it will include a dimmer as well). He said he doesn't do any damages, and is a licensed electrician for 20 years.

His number is 647-502-9407. He sent me pictures of his work, and thye all look good. Should I ask for his client's name/phone number to do a reference check?

Regards,
-Riaz

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next