It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: POTLIGHTS for $79
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 pm 

Copied over from my post under "UPGRADES"
http://www.hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/ ... hp?t=10367

Reena wrote:
Zeeshan,
Anything less than $79 would be a great price. If possible, can you please give me the contact info. of the person who installed it for your friend.

After my post, I received approx 5 PM's asking for the company's name. Here are the details (please read in its entirety):

www.mrpotlight.com
cell 416 702 4401
off: 905 508 4411
Ask for John, the owner
Fully licensed electrician
Fireboxes for lights on the 2nd floor
Includes wiring, potlights, switch and installation
$79/pot light main floor
$99 on the 2nd floor
$99 for outside lights (price might be different if the difficulty of doing the outside is higher than normal - usually not a problem)
As per him: He doesn't rip down drywall. Flawless fishing.
NOTE: The company is stationed out of Richmond Hill, so the farthest west he usually comes out is Woodbridge. I talked to him of the possibility of referral business in Milton, and this is what he said:

MILTON: for the prices above for a single house in Milton, as he mentioned he brings an entire crew, the minimum order has to be for 20 potlights. If less than 20, then $20 extra/light (Im pretty sure this is negotiable)

EXCEPTION: If more than 1 Milton client can arrange for potlight orders, he can try to arrange them all for installation for the same day or same time frame, saving on travel and costs to pay his crew (his crew can install upto 60/day), thus removing the minimum requirement.

What to do? I would say the best thing to do is call him. These are his official prices, so it doesn't hurt to call to see if the min. can change or the price. From our conversation, he does seem flexible, and I'm pretty sure there is some room to negotiate, be it for price for the 2nd floor or the minimum requirement. I'm not closing till later, so I was in no position to really negotiate, as the purpose of my call was to just gather info for Milton residents.

One favour, when you do call him, just mention you were referred by a post in MILTON. I told him, if he starts seeing business coming in from Milton because of my response, he needs to give customers in Milton a break on the minimum, because as from the PMs alone, he stands to see 5 potential clients.

Post back your experience and any deals you may have received. Let us all know. See ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:40 pm 

alpha wrote:
I just called John and he told me that exterior pot lights would be $120.00. Pot lights on a vaulted ceiling would be $150.00 and a switch would be extra.

someone else pm'd saying that too. I'm going to join her to arrange a group buy with him in the new year. He told me $99 when I spoke to him a while back, not sure why he jacked it up to $120. Did u mention that he told me (he won't remember my name) $99?

Either way, not sure when you are planning it, but I can PM you when I start my negotiations with him in collaberation with the other HVE neghbour on this site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 pm 

If the group buy is after Feb 2009, i want in on it too. I'm looking to do 30-40 lights (exterior and on various floors on the interior).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:03 pm 

ppst99 wrote:
If the group buy is after Feb 2009, i want in on it too. I'm looking to do 30-40 lights (exterior and on various floors on the interior).

So, we officially have 3 of us - Paul, Reena and myself. Looks like 30-40 pots per person. We can definitely get a much better deal.

After Feb probably makes the most sense for me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:08 pm 

I want to do exterior lights too, so weather might be a factor in when he can install the lights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm 

ppst99 wrote:
I want to do exterior lights too, so weather might be a factor in when he can install the lights.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. The first step it to close, and get over the 30 day issues. After things calm down, I'll start soliciting and making the calls.

Going from what my friend has negotiated with John, there is no way we'll pay that much if there are a few homes for him to do over the weekend. His only concern initially was bringing his crew out to Milton. 120 lights+ should take care of that :)

Either way, we can shop around around March - April when it warms up. No rush at my end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:20 pm 

That sounds good to me. april would be perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:43 am 

Don't mean to hijack the thread Zee-Shan, but I figure everyone is looking for a deal and the best quality potlights so I thought I'd share.

I recently got 40 lights installed on my main floor from an electrician that I've used for a while in Milton. Typically potlight companies will use the 'ghetto' potights.. the ones you see for like 8 for $59.00 at RONA. Anyhow, this guy uses Jibs, which are decent but in my case I requested that he went for even better quality ...i the ones he installed have the 45 degree swivels and stuff and they come in low voltage or regular.

Anyways to make a long story short it ran me about $70.00/light and if I went with he lower end lights it would have been closer to $50-$60/light. I will mention that I had some of the wiring ran in the ceiling corners to save on labour and eventually I'll be covering up with crown moulding anyways so it didn't really matter.

What's cool is that he will tally up all of the materials used add his labour and figure out the price so it could end up being less per light that this.

If there was a group thing going I'd suggest you guys get a price from him as well. He's one guy that works fast and clean and you won't be dissapointed. I'll post some pics later.

Last edited by janda_mel on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:09 am 

Count me in for late Sept/Oct 2009 time frame. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 pm 

Thanks for the info. For sure we'll check with him too. What I'll do is continue to add names to a list, and when the time is right, I'll start the quoting process. I won't just limit it to mrpotlight or the company you use.

At the end of the day, with enough numbers, we should all be able to get a competitive price. I'll solicit again in 2009.

Last edited by Zee-Shan on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:01 am 

Take me in in for potlights but late oct/nov2009....also zee-shan try to get qoute from them
ALEXMOULDING.COM ~~
MDF Crown molding from $4 per linier foot

Prices includes material and labor

Also Wainscoting, Chair rail, baseboard, casing, Columns, trim, Ceiling Medallions, Crown Molding
Recessed lighting potlights interior $70-80 and exterior $100 installed.
Halogen, low, line voltage, CFL - Energy Saving 4" potlights. !! NOT Rona or Home Depot cheap 3" potlights !!
ALEXMOLDING.COM - is your best source for high quality products and services such as Crown moulding, Columns, Wainscoting, baseboards, casing, decorative trim potlights and now Kitchens! Call as for a free estimate and you'll be satisfied!
647-886-3327
Thanks
Kashsaba

Direct: 416.727.2606
Email: kashif@cityscapeone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 pm 

janda_mel wrote:
Don't mean to hijack the thread Zee-Shan, but I figure everyone is looking for a deal and the best quality potlights so I thought I'd share.

I recently got 40 lights installed on my main floor from a licensed electrician that I've used for a while in Milton. Typically potlight companies will use the 'ghetto' potights.. the ones you see for like 8 for $59.00 at RONA. Anyhow, this guy uses Jibs, which are decent but in my case I requested that he went for even better quality ...i the ones he installed have the 45 degree swivels and stuff and they come in low voltage or regular.

Anyways to make a long story short it ran me about $70.00/light and if I went with he lower end lights it would have been closer to $50-$60/light.

What's cool is that he will tally up all of the materials used add his labour and figure out the price so it could end up being less per light that this.

If there was a group thing going I'd suggest you guys get a price from him as well. He's one guy that works fast and clean and you won't be dissapointed. I'll post some pics later.

PM me for details

Last edited by janda_mel on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:27 pm 

Thanks Jeff. Definitely will keep his name on the list to call when we are ready to go

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:17 pm 

marcandcristina wrote:
Is this group buy over and done now or is there a chance that I could get in on this???
I'm looking for pot lights in family room, kitchen bedrooms and out side as well. Depending on the price I will have a total number.

Hope I can get in on it for the $50-$60 range!!

Cristina

No it's not. We're all pretty looking into it for the spring as many of our homes will close by then. Will advise when we're getting ready for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:46 am 

I spoke to John few weeks ago, and he agreed to do the potlights for us at the cost of $80 for downstairs, and $100 for upstairs (given that we have atleast 20 potlights to install, which we do).

Hope this helps.
Regards,

-Riaz