HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:00 pm 

I purchased a Mattamy in 2004 and will be moving into phase 13 in Jan 2006. I recently started my own computer consulting company One Wired Mouse as a side project. We offer a full range of services for home and small business.

We recently go onboard with Dell and are offering less then retail pricing on most of Dell products.

Last edited by OneWiredMouse on Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:05 pm 

Also, I was just in my house with permission from the builder to run structured wiring (Video,Phone,Data,Audio) through out the house. I had no problem getting permission which I have been reading is not the norm for mattamy.

If you find out your pre-insulation post-electrical date and your looking for this type of service drop me an email or give me a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:08 am 

Hi, I am lot 80, assume you are on Barr as well???

I do IT consulting on the side as well.

Just wondering, when you did your network drops, did you use a punchdown panel and if so, where did you put it? In your furnace room?

I am thinking about doing my whole house and phones Cat6 and possibly using IP phones.....

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:49 pm 

Matt,

I ran the cable beside the eletrical panel which is in the furance room. I left about 10 feet of slack so i can locate the punch down anywhere i want as the furnace is not installed yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:25 pm 

You can drop anywhere you want if you know what you are doing. Slack is _always_ a good thing if it's available.

Depending on how the house is wired, I tend to roll up some slack and tack it to the concrete board and then punch it down into a panel or cap it off with RJ45s (depending on what was required).

Mattamy homes are standard with a giant loop of cat3 wire run around the house to service all the phone jacks. Tiffanypark, Falconcrest, Coscorp and a couple of other builders are standard with home run cat5e dropped in the basement from each jack in the house. This is good for people who want to run a network connection around their house.

My own house is wired with a lot of cat5e, a 48-port patch panel, and a 24-port gig switch all racked up. Half the panel is for telephone so I can patch the ports around the house easily to network or phone. Standardizing on TIA568A makes things nice too.

I used to do a lot of this commercially and now do it in new homes after closing (so I don't get arrested or sued by the builder :)

Post subject: Good Reference
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:49 pm 

Here is a good reference for home wiring.

http://www.swhowto.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:48 pm 

Dell has great deals on LCD monitors right now.

21 inch LCD for $649