HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 pm 

Are you expecting a baby? When it comes to diapering your child there is a healthier alternative to disposables.

The health benefits of cloth diapers include:

• Less diaper rash - before disposable diapers, in 1959 an article was published in the Journal of Paediatrics, which determined only 7.1% babies in a one-time clinical study had diaper rash (Tanino, 1959). In a study of diaper rash in the 1980's, 63% of 1,050 babies had diaper rash at least once in an 8-week period (Gaunder and Plummer, 1987). It is thought that more diaper rashes may occur in babies wearing disposable diapers because they are often changed less frequently compared to babies wearing cloth diapers and/or due to the various chemicals used in the processing of disposable diapers which may irritate baby's skin.

• Faster toilet training - there have been several studies completed which show that cloth diapered babies on average potty train earlier than babies who used disposable diapers. On average, cloth diapered babies were potty trained by 18 months, compared to babies in disposables which were potty trained by 40 months. Cloth diapered babies not artificially removed from the consequence of relieving themselves (i.e. they feel a wet diaper) which helps in the potty training, compared to babies in disposable diapers who do not feel the wetness.

• Chemicals & sensitive skin - there are numerous chemicals used in disposable diapers, some of which may cause skin irritations and other which some groups/individuals are concerned about for other health reasons. Have you ever noticed some bits of gel on your baby after using disposables? They are sodium polyacrylate (a type of super absorbent polymer (SAP), which becomes a gel-like substance when wet). That's what makes disposable diapers so absorbent thus reducing the frequency of diaper changes. During the bleaching process for disposable diapers, a by-product called Dioxin (a carcinogenic chemical) is emitted and trace amounts can be found on the actual diapers. This toxic chemical is considered a cancer-causing chemical and many countries have banned this substance (note: Canada and the USA have not yet banned it). Finally, disposable diapers also contain the chemical Tributyl-tin. This is a toxic pollutant known to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals.

• Sperm counts/Scrotal temperature - in May 2000, the Archives of Disease in Childhood published research showing that scrotal temperature in boys wearing disposable diapers was higher. They also concluded that prolonged use of disposable diapers will blunt or completely abolish the physiological testicular cooling mechanism important for normal spermatogenesis.

Cloth diaper services are great but just as expensive as disposables. Save money and buy your own stash!

I am an independent cloth diaper consultant for Little Tree Hugger based out of Hawthorne Village. I have samples of many popular brands of diapers (none of which require pins!) and would love to come to your home and give a demonstration to show you just how easy using cloth diapers is! Together we'll find a style that will work for your family.

If you are interested, please e-mail me at milton@littletreehugger.ca or check out my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/miltonLTH

If you are not interested in a consultation but would like to order something from our website (http://www.littletreehugger.ca/) please use consultant code "Milton" and then coupon code "$2GTA" to save $5 on shipping! I will deliver your order to you in Milton.

Thank you!

Early Start Potty Training by Linda Sonna, Ph.D
The Diaper Free Baby by Christine Gross-Loh

Last edited by Miltonian11 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.