HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:08 pm 

I have given this a lot of thought and am having a difficult time deciding on the best course of action. Our new house will have a white kitchen with light counters and now we are starting to decide what appliances we want (as our cut out dimesions will be due soon). The problem is that I don't want the appliances to offer the contrast of the kitchen which stainless steel might, however white appliances might wash out the entire area.

Not to mention the fact that certain appliances only come in stainless steel now :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:21 pm 

Wouldn't anything you put against white show a greater contrast?

I think your best bet is to go with stainless steel. Black would stand out too much and white (like you said) would wash out the entire area ... plus white appliances in a kitchen makes the kitchen look cheap (IMO) ... how come you don't want stainless steel?

I'm curious to see what other people would suggest ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:46 pm 

Im with N and S on this one!

Definitely Stainless Steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:56 pm 

You can always "panel" your appliances but that will be more $$$ :)

I personally would go with stainless steel, it's a classic look & goes very well with any colour of cabinets.
Here are some pics I found of white kitchens:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:33 pm 

I agree with the stainless steel opinions above. But it's individual I suppose and just depends on your eye and what you like personally.

A good site to browse through kitchens is houzz.com ... go to the kitchen section there and just flip through the pics and see what styles grab you.

You can also search on various looks. For example a search on "white appliances" gives you these photos: http://www.houzz.com/photos/query/white%20appliances ... just flip through those pics and see if you like the look (make sure you look at white on white though, and not white on cream), and you'll have your own answer. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:36 pm 

N and S wrote:

I think your best bet is to go with stainless steel. Black would stand out too much and white (like you said) would wash out the entire area ... plus white appliances in a kitchen makes the kitchen look cheap (IMO) ... how come you don't want stainless steel?

I don't mind the look of stainless steel appliances, I have had them in each house so far. What I don't like is the fingeprints :(

Not to mention I was thinking of alternatives to what I have seen for the past 10 years in my kitchen. Maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side on this issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:41 pm 

miltonLeo wrote:
I agree with the stainless steel opinions above. But it's individual I suppose and just depends on your eye and what you like personally.

A good site to browse through kitchens is houzz.com ... go to the kitchen section there and just flip through the pics and see what styles grab you.

You can also search on various looks. For example a search on "white appliances" gives you these photos: http://www.houzz.com/photos/query/white%20appliances ... just flip through those pics and see if you like the look (make sure you look at white on white though, and not white on cream), and you'll have your own answer. Good luck.

Thanks miltonLeo these pictures and site is great. I will spend some time looking through the options. Looks like a great resource, my wife will be thrilled. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:49 pm 

Dan Drmanic wrote:
N and S wrote:

I don't mind the look of stainless steel appliances, I have had them in each house so far. What I don't like is the fingeprints :(

Not to mention I was thinking of alternatives to what I have seen for the past 10 years in my kitchen. Maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side on this issue.

Hey Dan! ... just my 2 cents (again) ... I love the look of a white kitchen, but if you're concerned about fingerprints on stainless steel (especially with children) then you'll have a lot more to worry about with a white kitchen!

LOVING the 'paneled' look! You should look into how much that would cost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 pm 

N and S wrote:
Dan Drmanic wrote:
N and S wrote:

Hey Dan! ... just my 2 cents (again) ... I love the look of a white kitchen, but if you're concerned about fingerprints on stainless steel (especially with children) then you'll have a lot more to worry about with a white kitchen!

LOVING the 'paneled' look! You should look into how much that would cost

They will only be kids for so long right :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:43 pm 

This is a bit of a follow up, along a different line ...

What is your opinion on white cabinets with a dark island?

Or all white cabinets with a different island countertop colour?

Or both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:42 am 

I love having a dark island with white/cream cabinets!!! We have that set up in our own kitchen so I guess I am biased :lol:

I personally prefer to keep the counters the same colour. But it's really a personal preference & both can look great.

Not sure if that helps much :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 am 

Appliances now come in an assortment of colors, this is one made by Electrolux. There appliances now come in light blue, red, gray, bronze. I think the gray appliances would look very elegant in a white kitchen. Maybe it's worth looking into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:27 am 

What about Jenn Air? They have something called "oiled bronze", and also "floating glass" (which comes in white or black, but is a different texture than regular white or black appliances and looks totally cool). http://www.jenn-air.ca/en/ProductSuiteC ... ronze.html

I'm digging the all white cabinets, with the different island countertop colour. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:52 pm 

It's true I had a stainless fridge like this, but it sold in the deal with our last home. The only downfall is it does scratch easier then steel, but I never noticed my fridge to get any scratches while we had it. Our was made by Whirlpool, and it was an inexpensive fridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 pm 

Not nessesarly check out this link, I would by white applances like these ones.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dc/appl ... ces-147884

I also love the oiled bronze appliances, I seen a electrolux one at a store and I fell in love... but, the price tag woke me up