HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:38 pm 
All i know is Target is dead the 3 or 4 times ive been there.....
Same blenders, household as 10 other places in town.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:49 pm 

btimmis wrote:
That's the spirit! "It's on their side of the line so let's all pretend it's not there and surely someone else will deal with it!" Because surely Georgetown is going to run buses from Milton to this new mall for residents of Milton who shop and work there. So much small town thinking in this town still...

????

Who said to pretend it's not there? By all means go shopping there if you want to. Knock yourself out. Just don't ask the rest of the town to subsidize your out-of-town shopping excursions ... IMHO.

Personally I often shop at Dundas & Appleby Line in Burlington. Good stores, and conveniently-located to HVE. But I wouldn't dream of asking the town of Milton to run buses there. Because why? Because it's not in Milton, that's why.

IMO the problem with our tax-and-spend entitlement society is that we focus so much time asking for things that would make our personal financial lives easier at a point in time. I just think that our tax dollars should be spent on things that encourage jobs and businesses in the actual town of MILTON and not to the benefit of outlying communities.

(But take heart, our council has proven there's pretty much nothing they won't waste our tax dollars on; just whine loud enough and you'll likely have your buses to Georgetown in next year's budget. :roll: )

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:31 pm 

^For me at least, it isn't about shoppers, it is about workers, this shopping centre will provide a lot of employment, and if we aren't getting the property tax revenue, we should at least be able to get a large portion of the jobs. But given these will be mostly lower wage jobs, many of the people who would work there will need public transit to get to work.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:17 am 

btimmis wrote:
^For me at least, it isn't about shoppers, it is about workers, this shopping centre will provide a lot of employment, and if we aren't getting the property tax revenue, we should at least be able to get a large portion of the jobs. But given these will be mostly lower wage jobs, many of the people who would work there will need public transit to get to work.

So let the mall figure out how to bus them in, or pay them adequately so they can afford a car, or hire people with access to transportation.

I don’t see why it needs to be the town/community’s issue if a bunch of people take a minimum wage job they have no ability to get to.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:14 am 

It's not uncommon for cities to send buses to the transit hubs of neighbouring cities. It's how you integrate transit systems. There's got to be data they can gather to ascertain whether buses from say Milton Mall should go to the new mall.

Bremer ^ let the mall figure it out? This town needs to stop acting like a small town if they want to compete with neighbouring cities to attract business. It's getting old.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:09 am 

Sandeep wrote:
Bremer ^ let the mall figure it out? This town needs to stop acting like a small town if they want to compete with neighbouring cities to attract business. It's getting old.

Yeah, let the mall figure it out. I suppose they would by asking people if they had reliable transportation before hiring them, but really I don’t care. If they want to be in business, let them do what they need to staff the stores. It’s not anyone elses problem, so why take it on?

Call me crazy, but I just think the better way to attract business is not have sky-high taxes spent on expensive and underutilized public transit systems.

I don’t understand this mentality that transit is a necessity which must be delivered at any cost and irrespective of any true demand for it. It seems like if there’s one guy in town who might benefit from a bus, then we spare no expense providing it to him. How about a little cost/benefit analysis before we go shoveling money down a hole?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:12 pm 

bremer wrote:
Sandeep wrote:

Yeah, let the mall figure it out. I suppose they would by asking people if they had reliable transportation before hiring them, but really I don’t care. If they want to be in business, let them do what they need to staff the stores. It’s not anyone elses problem, so why take it on?

Call me crazy, but I just think the better way to attract business is not have sky-high taxes spent on expensive and underutilized public transit systems.

I don’t understand this mentality that transit is a necessity which must be delivered at any cost and irrespective of any true demand for it. It seems like if there’s one guy in town who might benefit from a bus, then we spare no expense providing it to him. How about a little cost/benefit analysis before we go shoveling money down a hole?

I don't think it's the mall's problem if the people they hire don't have a way to get there either. My company certainly doesn't care how I get to work so long as I'm there at my designated time. Nor do they care that we aren't getting raises even though the GO Train fares keep increasing. My company's main concern is making money, and however their employees get to work to do their jobs to contribute to their bottom line is no concern of theirs.

But I do agree that I don't think want the town to be spending more money on public transit because this is a factor. Realistically even if every store hired a Milton resident to work there, it would sill be a small percentage of the town's population that is working there. And to me that doesn't justify raising our tax dollars to increase public transit to the new outlet mall.

I think it is important that buses run out that way for the jobs and for people who want to shop there, but just amend an existing route rather than spend more money to create a new route or bring on more buses for this route.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:57 pm 

I'm pro having a bus route, but i understand the concern with increased spending. My challenge to the town would be to make it happen with the existing infrastructure. I'm sure an hourly service would be possible by juggling some routes and timing. There should already be enough data on the existing routes to make some changes.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:44 pm 

Sounds like a plan. How about it council? And while you're at it, please rejigger another route and give us service to Oakville Place. And how about a bus out to the Burlington Ikea? That would be great!! Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 am 

cactus_jack wrote:
Forget the bus. I'll be giving free rides to the mall in my spare time.

Just looking for excuses to get away from the wife and kid....

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:30 pm 

Star article on Premium Outlets - also mentioning the job fair at end of article
"...Waterfall and fireplace....." is quite an upgrade for the steeles/trafalger vicinity
"racetrack-shaped design will allow shoppers to hit every store"... will shoppers will be able to train at the velodrome?

New outlet shopping coming to Halton Hills

Toronto Premium Outlets to bring Icebreaker, Kate Spade New York, Restoration Hardware, Cole Haan and Columbia Sportswear discount shopping to GTA.
Andrew Francis Wallace / Toronto Star

Megan Johnson general manager of Toronto Premium Outlets poses at the site in Halton Hills. The company is preparing to bring U.S. style premium outlet mall shopping to Canada.May 29, 2013. Andrew Francis Wallace/Toronto Star

By: Francine Kopun Business reporter, Published on Thu May 30 2013
It’s still a construction site, more mud and trucks than Coach and Cole Haan, but Toronto Premium Outlets is on track to open on August 1 in Halton Hills, offering a U.S.-style discount shopping experience less than an hour west of Toronto.

The project will add another 400,000 square feet of selling space to the booming Toronto retail market. Construction trailers have become a familiar part of the landscape as stores and malls including Sherway Gardens, Yorkdale and Square One expand and renovate to welcome and compete with newcomers, including Seattle-based department store retailer Nordstrom.

Toronto Premium Outlets is promising shoppers an experience unique to Canada. It will include retailers new to the outlet market in Canada: Cole Haan, Columbia Sportswear, DKNY, Icebreaker, Kate Spade New York, Polo Ralph Lauren, Restoration Hardware and Ted Baker London.

The racetrack-shaped design will allow shoppers to hit every store if they walk the perimeter. The outdoor central hub will include a waterfall and fireplace.

The focus will be on providing a premium shopping experience despite the outlet label.

“We are pure shopping. We are deals,” said Megan Johnson, general manager, leading a tour of the location on Wednesday.

Goods will be sold at 25-65 per cent off regular retail pricing and retailers are being encouraged to offer deeper discounts on opening day, she said.

Depending on the brand, retailers will offer discounts on products also sold in regular stores, on merchandise that is seasonal, but perhaps later in the season, and merchandise specifically manufactured and priced for outlet locations.

“I think consumers will be excited,” said Wendy Evans of Evans and Company Consultants Inc.

She said that while the GTA is the most concentrated of any retail market in Canada, it’s still not up to the level of U.S. retail supply.

James Smerdon, vice president and director, retail consulting, at Colliers International Consulting, said he doesn’t think retail supply in Toronto is being overbuilt.

“We’re seeing a lot of population growth and a lot of retail development. So far those things are in lock-step,” he said.

Retail construction in Calgary is also booming, with 10-million square feet of retail space in the development pipeline. But Calgary is also experiencing population and income growth and no shortage of employment, according to a Colliers International retail report released Wednesday.

In the U.S. after the economic meltdown of 2008, there was more than a billion square feet of vacant retail space, according to Smerdon.

Toronto attracted 15 new entrants to the retail market in 2013, according to data from real estate brokerage CBRE Ltd.

The data says retail inventory in Canada will grow by 5.4-million square feet in 2013, and it predicts new supply to continue to trend above the 5.2-million square-foot 10-year average going forward.

More than 800 full- and part-time jobs will be created by Toronto Premium Outlets. A job fair co-sponsored by Halton Employment, Peel Region and the Town of Halton Hills will be held Thursday, June 6, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Milton Sports Centre at 605 Santa Maria Blvd., Milton.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 am 

Hi Everybody,

Good afternoon. This new mall will be opening in 24 hours. (Just say'in). Have a great long-weekend.

Best Regards,
Tony

Tony Lambert
Town & Regional Councillor
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
www.tony-lambert.ca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:26 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
Tony Lambert wrote:
Hi Everybody,

Good afternoon. This new mall will be opening in 24 hours. (Just say'in). Have a great long-weekend.

Best Regards,
Tony

Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
http://www.tony-lambert.ca

Do you think it will be busy there this weekend?

Hi prickly_pete,

I don't know, but there sure is a lot of interested people (+12,000 views on this thread alone). We'll see.

Thank You,
Tony

Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:28 am 
Thanks Tony! I want to be the first to congratulate you on bringing this to Milton! You may not be the hero Milton wants, but you are the one it needs!

Last edited by Hawthorny on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:33 am 

Hawthorny wrote:
Thanks Tony! I want to be the first to congratulate you on bringing this to Milton! You may not be the here Milton wants, but you are the one it needs!

Lol, have a great long-weekend Hawthorny.

Best Regards,
Tony

Tony Lambert
Wards 1,6,7 and 8

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next