HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fred D
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:57 am 

Hello. Just wanted to say a big 'Thank you' to Fred D. He is paying for a movie license, so that Sam Sherratt Public School can have movie nights. Last night was Moana, and was well attended (although not as busy as the previous movie night, which was earlier in the year). Hopefully, with more events, the school will have enough money to get their new projection system. Way to go Fred!

Post subject: Re: Fred D
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:26 am 

Fred, Fred, Fred, Fred!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 am 

Fred is def good people.

Movie nights are fun -- we attended as well. I'm sure attendance in the fall will be better -- its just too nice out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 am 

There is a copyright exemption if you claim showing the film has some educational value (not just for entertainment) under C11

Congrats to Fred but it absurd to think ACF is profiting from license sales that do not give a penny back to the actual film makers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 am 

I'm pretty sure Moana and Sing wouldn't cut the educational value...

Its a fun event with the kids and their friends and does fundraising for different things at the school.

ACF has agreements with Disney -- I'm not sure what you mean it doesn't give a penny back to the actual film makers -- you are frustrated that Disney gets the money and not the people that worked on the film? Isn't that par for the course that movie studios pocket all kinds of revenue and don't share it with the 'workers'.

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
There is a copyright exemption if you claim showing the film has some educational value (not just for entertainment) under C11

Congrats to Fred but it absurd to think ACF is profiting from license sales that do not give a penny back to the actual film makers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:14 pm 

Devious wrote:
I'm pretty sure Moana and Sing wouldn't cut the educational value...

Its a fun event with the kids and their friends and does fundraising for different things at the school.

ACF has agreements with Disney -- I'm not sure what you mean it doesn't give a penny back to the actual film makers -- you are frustrated that Disney gets the money and not the people that worked on the film? Isn't that par for the course that movie studios pocket all kinds of revenue and don't share it with the 'workers'.

Mr.Peppermint wrote:

Mr. Peppermint is just salty about everything. Even children watching animated movies as part of a school's fundraising mission. Great guy to have around at parties (when it's time for everyone to go home).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 pm 

Fred, great give back to the community ! you are #1 in our books

opie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm 

Thanks guys, sorry I only saw this post now ... Crazy market out there :)
I will do as much as I can to help - Sam Sherratt is such a fantastic school, and if such a small gesture can bring some fun and smiles to lots of people, it's an easy decision!

The first movie night in the spring was a massive hit and we were packed wall to wall. This 2nd one we expected a smaller turnout, not only due to the weather but because kids summer sports have started up taking up many family's evenings.
We will be back in the fall for more !
Lots of great volunteers, donations of snacks and prizes, fun 'photo booth' wall and more... When my wife has her hands in organizing anything, there's no half-assing going on lol!

Thanks also to school council... So much great help!

Thanks for the post :)

search for Milton's Favourite Realtor!

REVEL REALTY -- MILTON'S FAVOURITE REAL ESTATE BROKERAGE, as voted by YOU!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 am 

Another thank you to Fred, for sponsoring the movie night at Sam Sherratt Public School. Boy, those couches made it easier to watch Lego Batman! Will try again next time too. Thanks to your wife and parent council for all their hard work too!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:57 am 

The school council does a ton of great work for the various events. With the new Principal and VP, I think even more pressure has been put on council to ease the stress of continuity into this year. They've stepped up and done a fantastic job!
A couple of weeks ago, there was an 'Active Chefs' event where the kids got to prepare dinner for almost 100 people, learning about different foods from around the world - another success!

Thanks again for the post :) Most importantly, thanks again to ALL the student and parent volunteers, not only at Sam Sherratt, but at ALL the schools in town - It definitely helps enhance the kids' overall school experience!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:05 am 

Merry Christmas Fred ! and TEAM

All the best for 2018

opie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 am 

mmomma wrote:
Hello. Just wanted to say a big 'Thank you' to Fred D. He is paying for a movie license, so that Sam Sherratt Public School can have movie nights. Last night was Moana, and was well attended (although not as busy as the previous movie night, which was earlier in the year). Hopefully, with more events, the school will have enough money to get their new projection system. Way to go Fred!

I was not there, is there any banner to find out who sponsored the event or do they put up a notice on the screen before movie starts about the sponsors or do the organizer mention that sponsor on the stage?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:07 am 

They have put my FREDHELPS.COM name on the sign outside the school at previous events, not this time. Not a concern of mine, new principal and VP this year and I didn't want to bug them about it. They don't have my logo on the screen either but I donate a few prize packs for the silent auction as well and my team name is on the bidding sheet. That's good enough for me - I don't really use it as a promotion.
They have thanked me in front of the crowd before the movie a couple of times, and last year the kids made me this awesome piece of artwork as their thanks -- and THAT was the awesome payoff for me :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:16 am 

I could not imagine an event sponsored by someone not being mentioned or displayed on screen.

May be people now know who is sponsor by word of mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 am 

I have been mentioned, and thanked on many occasions. I don't need more :)