HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Disaster lawn
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:22 pm 

What a great weekend to spread fall fertilizer on your lawn. I was happy to see that TSC has good sized bags at $12 off for $26., likely enough for a two year supply for most of Milton's smaller lawns. This product, along with a nice short cut before the snow flies will give your lawn a great start in the spring.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:20 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
What a great weekend to spread fall fertilizer on your lawn. I was happy to see that TSC has good sized bags at $12 off for $26., likely enough for a two year supply for most of Milton's smaller lawns. This product, along with a nice short cut before the snow flies will give your lawn a great start in the spring.

Done and done :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:23 pm 

Ditto.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:33 am 

So got a bit of an issue this year... My lawn has been infested by Grubs. Bought the nematoads and spread them a couple of weeks ago. My concern is that it will be long into the season next year to know if they work or not. Anyone got any recos for a surefire way to get rid of these bastards? I will note that I am not against a chemical method to eliminating them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:53 pm 

NotHawthorny wrote:
So got a bit of an issue this year... My lawn has been infested by Grubs. Bought the nematoads and spread them a couple of weeks ago. My concern is that it will be long into the season next year to know if they work or not. Anyone got any recos for a surefire way to get rid of these bastards? I will note that I am not against a chemical method to eliminating them.

Scott’s Grub Ex. I plan on getting some in Niagara in a few weeks. Will let you know if I’m successful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:51 pm 

I get the grub ex and the other banned weed killer off of Amazon. Costs a bit more but delivered right to your house. Its illegal to sell in Canada but legal to ship it here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:35 pm 

how harmful these chemical products? I have used it before it got banned. In the current place it has never been used and now thinking of using it, but considering that it was never used in the current place and if it is safe to do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 pm 

Carl wrote:
how harmful these chemical products? I have used it before it got banned. In the current place it has never been used and now thinking of using it, but considering that it was never used in the current place and if it is safe to do.

Most provincially banned products for lawns are approved for use by our federal government but banned by some provinces like in Ontario. Canada customs does not seem to care when they are brought over the border.

In Ontario golf courses and some others are still permitted to use the "good stuff".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:21 pm 

Carl wrote:

i think the point of the ban is to stop everyone. Technically if one or two people use the banned product you can not do much harm to the municipal system. but when everyone was is huge and impacting the great lakes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:37 am 

Wyl wrote:
Carl wrote:

i think the point of the ban is to stop everyone. Technically if one or two people use the banned product you can not do much harm to the municipal system. but when everyone was is huge and impacting the great lakes.

Maybe, but if that was the case then I wonder why the banned ingredient(s) like 2 4-D are still federally approved. 2 4-D is the most targeted ingredient when it comes to provincial bans while being the most beneficial at keeping lawns weed free.

Controversial pesticide 2,4-D deemed not 'dangerous', but still banned in Quebec -

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/controversial-pesticide-24-d-deemed-not-dangerous-but-still-banned-in-quebec/article581095/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

2 4-D doesn’t cause cancer: Health Canada -

http://www.producer.com/2016/04/24-d-doesnt-cause-cancer-health-canada/

According to some, products like 2-4D are banned for cosmetic use on lawns ( like killing weeds ) because they MAY pose an unnecessary risk to human health, particularly children’s health. It makes sense then for municipalities to not use these products in parks where children may play within 48 hours of the product being applied.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:52 am 

i find it interesting that ontario has it banned but the tree hugging capital of canada (BC) does not ban it. :?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:10 pm 

Cutter wrote:
I get the grub ex and the other banned weed killer off of Amazon. Costs a bit more but delivered right to your house. Its illegal to sell in Canada but legal to ship it here.

Grub Ex is produced by Bayer, Golf Courses use Merit which is also produced by Bayer just a stronger product. I am sure Grub Ex will work but if you can find Merit it will work better!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:42 am 

NotHawthorny wrote:

Nematodes and other products like GrubEx need to be applied to the lawn in late spring after the soil has warmed up. These products will work at killing your grubs all season. Nematodes will then die in the fall / winter. Best thing would be to apply fall fertilizer now. This will help your lawn bounce back in the spring.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:53 am 

Nematodes are ducking useless and a waste of money. Ducking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:12 am 

Is this a best time or in late Spring to apply weed killer?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next