HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 am 

AB wrote:
The discussion has been about parking on lawns which I detest. Does anyone on here know the rules when the homeowner has their lawn replaced by an interlock/concrete pad to accommodate an extra vehicle? Seeing more of these pop up all around Milton. Does it require a building permit to add these?

It's hard to believe it's a "complaint only" system! Surely staff can get in one of their vehicles once a month and spend a few hours just cruising the neighborhoods ensuring compliance with accepted rules and by-laws. My biggest concern is that they've been asleep at the wheel and now there are so many potential violators to deal with,......

By-law staff are already backed up dealing with the complaints. Apparently they're understaffed. No time to drive around policing the neighborhood.

It's better that way, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 am 

I had a neighbour like this. He tore up not only his grass, but also the shared grass between our walkway to the back. He was trying to fit in 2 cars in a one car space. I would do my best in the winter to pile up the snow on the grass so he couldn’t park his car over on it :).

Someone must of complained once because by law inforcement actually came to their house. I happened to be coming home that day and watched. His wife played a little “dumb” but they were either given a warning or fine.

It’s sad but you see it often in milton, it’s becoming a common thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:07 am 

catyvo22 wrote:
I had a neighbour like this. He tore up not only his grass, but also the shared grass between our walkway to the back. He was trying to fit in 2 cars in a one car space. I would do my best in the winter to pile up the snow on the grass so he couldn’t park his car over on it :).

Someone must of complained once because by law inforcement actually came to their house. I happened to be coming home that day and watched. His wife played a little “dumb” but they were either given a warning or fine.

Ok that situation would piss me off. I can understand that.

I was also under the impression that milton did surveys of satellite imagery for this thing annually. IF they noticed a change they take care of it. Am I mistaken?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:46 pm 

007 wrote:
catyvo22 wrote:

I was also under the impression that milton did surveys of satellite imagery for this thing annually. IF they noticed a change they take care of it. Am I mistaken?

If they did that, they would be handing out more tickets for violations around homes, then parking violations. I hate to say it, but its how the area has changed "demographically" that has these types of things happening. Street parking is a mess, so 1/3 of the homes have people parking sideways at the base of their driveways. Many people put out "bulk" trash days in advance, and not many upkeep the outside of their homes. I get it, it can be a pain in the a$$. I have a whole 3 square feet of grass and I put an irrigation system in. Set the days/times and never worry about the grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:08 pm 

007 wrote:

Haha csi Milton.... you been smoking that Brampton kush with mr. Peppermint?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm 

Hodor wrote:
007 wrote:

Haha csi Milton.... you been smoking that Brampton kush with mr. Peppermint?

I could of sworn I read this on Milton's website once. :?:

Apparently to widen a driveway you need a permit. However pre 2009 in Milton you didn't. And Im sure I read that post 2009 satellite images showing modification results in knock on door. :?: :?:

Did I dream this? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:03 pm 

catyvo22 wrote:
007 wrote:
catyvo22 wrote:

If they did that, they would be handing out more tickets for violations around homes, then parking violations. I hate to say it, but its how the area has changed "demographically" that has these types of things happening. Street parking is a mess, so 1/3 of the homes have people parking sideways at the base of their driveways. Many people put out "bulk" trash days in advance, and not many upkeep the outside of their homes. I get it, it can be a pain in the a$$. I have a whole 3 square feet of grass and I put an irrigation system in. Set the days/times and never worry about the grass

I guess I been lucky in my corner no real issues like this on my street.

My only issue is a neighbor that doesn't cut her grass and likes to leave food out for rabbits in the winter resulting in poop city.

She has stopped with the food and to be honest I got fed up and just started cutting her crass when I cut mine.

There are two houses that have widened their driveway to park an extra car in my corner but the way they did it looks ok and they keep their property very clean so it doesnt bother me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 pm 

007 wrote:
If done correct they look nice. I dont get why people worry about this? Not being sarcastic I just really dont get why anyone cares. If I had to be picky I see bigger problems.

I believe the issue with paving too much of your greenspace is that if enough people do it there may be an impact to the sewers. Basically the less greenspace you have the more water you need to deal with as run off and there are only so many places for it to go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:37 pm 

gclark wrote:
007 wrote:
If done correct they look nice. I dont get why people worry about this? Not being sarcastic I just really dont get why anyone cares. If I had to be picky I see bigger problems.

I believe the issue with paving too much of your greenspace is that if enough people do it there may be an impact to the sewers. Basically the less greenspace you have the more water you need to deal with as run off and there are only so many places for it to go.

There’s also the issue that only 2 homes in Milton history have ever had it “done correct.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am 

I was able to submit a bi-law complaint a couple of days ago which should [hopefully] be addressed within 5 days. Thanks for all of your input. The car is still parked on the grass so it looks like the town hasn't gotten around to it yet. I'll keep you updated.

As for the poster that says to mind my own business and let it go. You're the reason people treat their neighborhoods like garbage and feel like they can get away with it.

This same neighbor of mine used to have their garbage and flyers from their recycling bin fly all over the street because they didn't pack in their bins properly the night before. They also had their FULL garbage bins tipping over each night, days before the actual garbage day resulting in more garbage being flown around our streets and into peoples drive ways. I was courteous enough at that time to leave a note under their front mat notifying them of the situation. Things got a bit better from there however they still haevn't gotten the concept that they can't treat their home like a dumpster because people like YOU are to pusssy to bring these issues up.

And yes, I'll say it again that they are the BRAMPTON type, I've had many BRAMPTON type neighbors and frankly they're mostly all the same mind set.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:45 am 

You need to get out of West Milton man.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 pm 

Miltonian2015 wrote:
And yes, I'll say it again that they are the BRAMPTON type, I've had many BRAMPTON type neighbors and frankly they're mostly all the same mind set.

Completely agree with you. As I said before, the majority of those sorts of people haven't a clue of how to live in a civilized society and how to take care of their houses. Unfortunately, they don't know any better and think that their irresponsible and uncouth behavior is normal.

Rudyard Kipling nailed it when he wrote: "The East is East and the West is West and never the twain shall meet".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:34 pm 

Make Milton Great Again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm 

Miltonian2015 wrote:

Well it seems the Head office for "Brampton type" is Brampton and they have branches all over the place in Canada.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:03 pm 

Miltonian2015 wrote:
I was able to submit a bi-law complaint a couple of days ago which should [hopefully] be addressed within 5 days. Thanks for all of your input. The car is still parked on the grass so it looks like the town hasn't gotten around to it yet. I'll keep you updated.

As for the poster that says to mind my own business and let it go. You're the reason people treat their neighborhoods like garbage and feel like they can get away with it.

This same neighbor of mine used to have their garbage and flyers from their recycling bin fly all over the street because they didn't pack in their bins properly the night before. They also had their FULL garbage bins tipping over each night, days before the actual garbage day resulting in more garbage being flown around our streets and into peoples drive ways. I was courteous enough at that time to leave a note under their front mat notifying them of the situation. Things got a bit better from there however they still haevn't gotten the concept that they can't treat their home like a dumpster because people like YOU are to pusssy to bring these issues up.

The issue with many people is live and let live but that ideology can only go so far before standards start to deteriorate. Thankfully, my neighbourhood, for the most part, has been spared this downward spiral in civility, but it's only a matter of time before rentals show the effect of that "what me worry" mentality.