HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am 

Hi everyone, what is the likely cause of this furnace leak pictured? It's a Carrier unit, almost 12 years old, and the heat has been running for probably the past month.

I'll check it more when I get home tonight since I've done some reading, but thought I'd post this to see what the likely causes are and whether it requires professional intervention or not. Thanks!

Attachments:
furnace leak 3.jpg
furnace leak 3.jpg [ 107.63 KiB | Viewed 7059 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 am 

Probably a clogged condensation line. Time to call Mason!

Attachments:
2xA8bhS_edit.jpg
2xA8bhS_edit.jpg [ 45.95 KiB | Viewed 7049 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:12 am 

Def clogged condensate line or trap. Same thing happened to me, but I was lucky in that it corroded my heat exchanger and I got to replace the entire furnace.

Carrier home units are pieces of sh*t.

You can fix this yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:10 pm 

Carrier is a good brand product with a good reputation.

Like others have said it could be a condensate leak but it could also be from a humidifier if you have one. The leak looks to be pretty big for a condensate leak. On your furnace the condensate is draining out the left side of the furnace.

You can easily pull the front cover off to take a look. No tools needed to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:48 pm 

Holy fark, it's a heat exchanger. This is one expensive job, but its gotta be fixed. More details later. :o

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:
Holy fark, it's a heat exchanger. This is one expensive job, but its gotta be fixed. More details later. :o

If your heat exchanger is leaking water then it's likely time for a new furnace. Shame because this furnace of yours usually
needs to be replaced at the 17 to 20+ year mark.

Sorry to say, but it's likely that some preventative maintenance along the way could have saved your furnace from it's premature death.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 pm 

AlphaMale wrote:

Nice. That’s exactly what happened to me, even with regular maintenance.

Strange, considering Carrier is so high quality and has such a wonderful reputation... :roll:

:arrow: Wait until your new unit’s board fries itself a couple months after installation. Under warranty, surely - but still a pain in the ass.

Buuuttt.... if your heat exchanger is f*** the furnace should be shutting itself off after a minute or so. You know, so your family doesn’t die from CO. Might wanna get a second opinion on this bad boy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:38 am 

AlphaMale wrote:

Please do your research. It does not make sense to replace heat exchangers in a 12 year old Carrier unit. If you plan to stay in your home long term it makes more sense to replace the furnace with a full warranty.

See our Client Testimonials here
http://homestars.com/companies/2797675- ... on-comfort
viewtopic.php?t=24763

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:15 am 

:arrow: Hey Alpha. What the heck. :?: Where is the update on your furnace dilemma ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:18 am 

AlphaMale wrote:
Please do your research and hire a REAL HVAC company not a phone operator with sub-contractors and a salesman with Zero Technical Knowledge .
New Furnaces have nothing but parts made far far away from quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 am 

Nissan Air wrote:
AlphaMale wrote:
Please do your research and hire a REAL HVAC company not a phone operator with sub-contractors and a salesman with Zero Technical Knowledge .
New Furnaces have nothing but parts made far far away from quality.

Great point Mason. I agree they are a ton of shady HVAC companies out there. Do your research. Yes there are lots of furnaces made with inferior parts, we sell Trane made in Tyler, Texas best built most reliable furnace on the market today!

See our Client Testimonials here
http://homestars.com/companies/2797675- ... on-comfort
viewtopic.php?t=24763

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 pm 

Just call Mason,

He will put a new heat exchange in easy.

Ive seen him do this.

You will save money and your problem will be solved.

He will not guide you wrong...

If you change the HX out and unclog everything you will be good as new.

With Mason you also gotta keep in mind you are inviting someone into your home that has a very good reputation in our area. You know what you are getting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:57 am 

Thanks 007 we really appreciate your honesty and feedback. We have saved many furnaces from being "unnecessarily replaced "and we are so proud of it . Just because XYZ "Company" said " Oh it's not worth fixing lets just replace it" doesn't means that is the "Right" way to do it. There's more money to be made in a new furnace than to repair an old one and guess who's really benefiting ?
The real question here is : How often do home owners maintain their furnace ? we see more furnaces being treated like a "Dump" than well looked after ones !!! yeah we have seen them all and we also have heard the "whiny " ones that wonder " Why did my furnace break down ?" Then we answer with the following : " When was the last time you had your furnace maintained ?" AND " Well imagine if you didn't shower for 6 months how would you smell ??
For those who don't even know they have a gas furnace in the basement and treat it like a "Dump" sure they will need a new furnace every so often and enjoy the "Brand New far far away from quality offshore parts" and it doesn't matter which brand you buy they all use "Those Parts" and don't be naïve and believe otherwise by some "salesman " with no hands on installation nor repair knowledge . Be mindful that " Made In USA " Box doesn't necessarily mean " Made With USA Parts" !!!
Take a closer look at the components and see the printed words where it was really made . ( M.I.C. perhaps ?)
Those Old Mattamy Carrier and Bryant original furnaces as much as you might hate them where made in USA with Good Quality USA Parts and have far better reliability than any newly made ones.
Moral of the story :
Treat your furnace like a dump and it will turn into a dump .
Nothing last forever but well Maintained will live a little longer .

Anyone can install a new furnace but not all know how to repair one or replace a Heat exchanger .