HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: airplane noise
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:41 pm 

There has been a noticeable increase in aircraft noise especially along Main Street--Supercenter area. If you have been affected by low flying aircraft, send an email to www.airplanenoise@yahoo.com. We're trying to determine how many people are bothered by the noise.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: airplane noise
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 pm 

And what do you plan to accomplish?

Tell the GTAA that Milton is a no fly zone???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 pm 

There are flight paths all over Milton, depending on the wind. The wind also affects the altitude at which they fly. Despite the noise you hear, it does not qualify for additional signage about airplane noise, and they aren't going to change the flight paths.

This is one of those things where you just have to suck it up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:58 pm 

As far as I know "Zero" thing will be achieved by your request by the OP. Do you know some areas in Mississauga every two minutes a plane travels on top of their roof? Can you request all those flights to change direction and then it affects another set of people?

Last edited by Carl on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 pm 

Don't tell me, your Realtor told you there was no air traffic out here, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNb9hrGYEvA&app=desktop

The flight path in question is familiar to us, and I'd say it was quieter this past summer compared to '16 and '15, I think due to construction at T3? Back then I did a bunch of research to see that even during and after expansions to YYZ, that volume on this approach will get between 19 and 22% of all approach traffic or something. The altitudes we see out here have not changed, and aren't supposed to, looks like between 3300 feet and 4500 feet depending on the plane or weather? The only complaint you could make would be about some individual pilot being an A-hole flying too low or flying too far off approach paths. Check this out, this has improved greatly since last I checked in 2015: https://www.flightradar24.com/43.68,-79.63/10 If you spot an objectionable flight, look it up and file a complaint with someone.

Also, the ongoing technologies will make these things quieter and quieter, so as volumes increase we are supposed to notice less noise? Sure. This you can Google, I'm no authority but here's the array: https://www.google.ca/search?q=improvem ... 8AeE6IGoCA

The other tidbit of info I happened upon: There will be no real influence the public or municipalities can have to stop this, only to manage it, and apparently it's as good as it's going to get.

Last edited by B&T402 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
this has improved greatly

what has improved?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:30 pm 

Lots of cool info like air speed and altitude, in very close to real time (15 second delay?) Also a cool 3D viewer too, I'm watching AC7607 from Boston over Streetsville just now, at 600 feet lower than over Milton, those poor bastards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 pm 

Like most people have said here, there is nothing you can do. It's better now then it was.
The jets have gotten quieter with the high by-pass engines and the good old Pratt and Whitney's on the DC3's aren't vibrating the house for 10 minutes while they fly out of the area (I miss those).
I've been here for 40 years, so no excuse for anyone moving into Milton. We are at the end of 3 runways at Pearson (23, 24L, 24R) so unless you move the airport or have the planes come screaming down from 10,000 feet between Meadowvale and the airport to land or have the planes take-off straight up. There is jack you can do.
Go outside and watch the pattern over Milton. We are on the final turn to the airport. The planes enter the pattern from the north and line up north of Main for the left runway, while they enter from the south and line up around Britannia for the right runway.
How can anyone hear the planes over all the traffic and construction. There are bigger problems to tackle in Milton. Right CN railway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:50 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
Don't tell me, your Realtor told you there was no air traffic out here, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNb9hrGYEvA&app=desktop

The flight path in question is familiar to us, and I'd say it was quieter this past summer compared to '16 and '15, I think due to construction at T3? Back then I did a bunch of research to see that even during and after expansions to YYZ, that volume on this approach will get between 19 and 22% of all approach traffic or something. The altitudes we see out here have not changed, and aren't supposed to, looks like between 3300 feet and 4500 feet depending on the plane or weather? The only complaint you could make would be about some individual pilot being an A-hole flying too low or flying too far off approach paths. Check this out, this has improved greatly since last I checked in 2015: https://www.flightradar24.com/43.68,-79.63/10 If you spot an objectionable flight, look it up and file a complaint with someone.

Also, the ongoing technologies will make these things quieter and quieter, so as volumes increase we are supposed to notice less noise? Sure. This you can Google, I'm no authority but here's the array: https://www.google.ca/search?q=improvem ... 8AeE6IGoCA

The other tidbit of info I happened upon: There will be no real influence the public or municipalities can have to stop this, only to manage it, and apparently it's as good as it's going to get.

That link to the flights is pretty cool to watch. TY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 am 

007 wrote:
And what do you plan to accomplish?

Tell the GTAA that Milton is a no fly zone???

Hello, to those who responded to my post:

There have been 2 major studies in regard to noise reduction strategies. Some of the strategies can be implemented
in our area which can mitigate the noise. If you perceive failure, then you will fail--FAILURE IS NOT TRYING!

If you are interested in joining a meeting to discuss these strategies, please email airplanenoise@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:12 pm 

Try living in Mississauga in the Derry and Mavis area. OR, like my parents, on the Mississauga/Etobicoke border after they built the newer north/south runway and jumbo jets are flying overhead *literally* 10 seconds before touching down. You want to talk about airplanes noise? THOSE residents have something to complain about. The planes over Milton have been using that flight path forever, so there's really no cause for complaint here. The odd plane at that altitude doesn't bother me. The trains are more annoying. Both were here before I was.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:26 pm 

Been in Milton and at this forum for a while I observe three regular threads. One - "it is plane noise and it is increasing". Two - "why here is chlorine in the tap water and it is increasing". And third one: "why Christmas lights are still on", this one bring stable number of Grinch like. Usually one per season. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm 

Here is a link to the recently released report on aircraft noise http://www.torontoairspacereview.ca/
If you are interested in being part of a group to look into the implementation of some of the strategies mentioned in the report, please email airplanenoise@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:27 am 

Final approach for 06L flies directly over my house in Dorset park ... never been a problem (at least in the 40 years I been here.) Watching them come over on the back deck in a summer evening, beer & book in hand, is actually kind of relaxing. Aircraft are much more quiet these days.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm 

In case anyone want to make a complaint, the number to call Aircraft Noise Complaints is 416-247-7682.

I picked up this number from one of the Councillor new letter.