HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 am 

:arrow: I need to purchase a new free standing electric stove, a new fridge, and a new dishwasher.

Online reviews are mixed on all products.

:?: Did you go with extended warranties ?

:?: LG has some great looking products that would suit our needs but reviews on their products and after sale service are also mixed.

:?: Please tell me what brand of appliances you went with and why.

Any regrets ?
No regrets ?
Problems with equipment ?
Great service ?
Poor service ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 am 

I wouldn't recommend LG for appliances. I've got an LG fridge that had the compressor go completely after only a year (luckily it was still under warranty). Then a few years later we noticed that the door light switch wasn't working (i.e. close the fridge doors and the internal lights didn't go out). We wouldn't have known had it not been for the food near the lights getting spoiled (i.e. we noticed that the ground beef bought the day before was brown - the heat of the lights constantly being on actually cooked the beef!!). Did some research and found that there was a factory recall due to fires that were caused in the U.S. over this. LG fixed it for free (fridge was about 7 years old at the time), but still concerning that this kind of design flaw would exist.

So no, I wouldn't go with LG. :D

On the extended warranty, I'd get definitely get it on appliances that have a water hookup. A busted hose getting the circuit board wet would be something you want to have coverage for, for as long as possible... so dishwasher, for sure, maybe the fridge as well if you've got a cold water line going to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:25 pm 

Thanks Gecko.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:50 pm 

My LG is working fine for the past 6years no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:37 pm 

Thanks jude.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:54 pm 

I've had really decent luck with Sears Kenmore over the years, but . . .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:50 pm 

Eye level oven, dishwasher, cook top (induction) all Kitchenaide 4 yrs no problems
Fridge Jenn-air 8 yrs no problems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 pm 

Bosch makes good stuff (& selling point is quietest dishwashers in market)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:30 am 

Great info everyone. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:32 am 

Mr.Peppermint wrote:
Bosch makes good stuff (& selling point is quietest dishwashers in market)

depends.

Had washer and dryer from Bosch. Washer at 8 years still running, but I do not use my shirts into the washer as it has few times ripped my shirt in the long sleeve side. I told my members at home that the long sleeve place must be dirty and in trying to clean it, the machine has ripped it.

As to the dryer, it was a disaster. After 3-4 years, the drum was making noise. Called the Bosch authorized technician and charged me visitation fee for the visit, but the visit paid off as he could remove something that caught inside the drum.

Again in 1.5 years later another drum noise problem (much larger noise and stopped using the dryer). Called the Bosch technician and paid the visitation fee, but upon dismantling the drum, the liners around the drum seems to have worn off and need a new drum which is going to cost another few hundred dollars. Decided it is not worth to spend more and more dollars and to replace with new dryer. So incurred the visitation fee for the Bosch technician coming to find out the problem, headed to the Appliance store to buy whirlpool dryer. I love this whirlpool dryer as compared with Bosch.

The Manager at Appliance store asked we why I did not call him as I could have saved the visitation fee. Told him that did not know that I got replace the drum on the second time.

Find that Bosch has exit the separate washer and dryer machine business and only selling the stacked washer/dryer ones.

Will not buy the Bosch brands again whether it is washer or any appliance for that matter because the washer was ripping clothes and dryer did not last the 5 year expectation and was start to give problems in 3-4 year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:25 am 

Any thoughts on Maytag major appliances - Fridges - ranges - dishwashers ???

I feel compelled to purchase one brand of product. No mix and match for me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:57 am 

I am being told that Maytag, whirlpool and some other brand names are manufactured by the same company but with insertion of different brand names on the product.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:51 pm 

Jenn-air, Maytag and Kitchenaide fridges are basically identical. The more you pay for each name the bells and whistles increase.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:48 pm 

Carl wrote:
I am being told that Maytag, whirlpool and some other brand names are manufactured by the same company but with insertion of different brand names on the product.

That's right. Kitchenaide, Maytag, and Whirlpool are now all manufactured by same company.
We bought all new top of the line Kitchenaide appliances and within a couple of years started having problems with both the washer and the gas stove. Had their service person over at least 3 times during the 3rd year. Unfortunately, we didn't buy the extended warranty as we never anticipated having so much trouble with such expensive appliances so soon in their life span. Learned our lesson the hard way, and would strongly suggest to stay away from these brands.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:06 pm 

All Star wrote:
Carl wrote:

That's right. Kitchenaide, Maytag, and Whirlpool are now all manufactured by same company.
We bought all new top of the line Kitchenaide appliances and within a couple of years started having problems with both the washer and the gas stove. Had their service person over at least 3 times during the 3rd year. Unfortunately, we didn't buy the extended warranty as we never anticipated having so much trouble with such expensive appliances so soon in their life span. Learned our lesson the hard way, and would strongly suggest to stay away from these brands.
I've read some pretty bad reviews on LG & Samsung so that doesn't leave much left to choose from.