HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 pm 

50% discount on Filtrete brand furnace filters 3 pack. A rare deal for something almost every home needs.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-mu ... p.html#spc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:51 pm 

I have been using low value filters all these years without any known issues.

I am inclined to try this one now to see any change in our house.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:35 pm 

A furnace filter is meant to protect your equipment not "clean" your air, these marketing claims are malarkey. If you expect your air handling equipment to clean your air, you're looking for specific (very spendy) equipment to do that. I've had more than a few HVAC people over the years advise against these things on a normal furnace, that they cause your blower to over work especially as they start to fill up with dust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:22 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
A furnace filter is meant to protect your equipment not "clean" your air, these marketing claims are malarkey. If you expect your air handling equipment to clean your air, you're looking for specific (very spendy) equipment to do that. I've had more than a few HVAC people over the years advise against these things on a normal furnace, that they cause your blower to over work especially as they start to fill up with dust.

that is good to know, never thought that it is protecting the furnace, but how is that filter protecting the furnace? Hot/cold air is coming out of the blower and where is the connection that it protects?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:48 pm 

Carl wrote:
Hot/cold air is coming out of the blower and where is the connection that it protects?

I was doing fine up until this one Carl, but here goes anyway. Have a look at where your filter slides in - it's at the very end of your return side ducting at the inlet of the blower. In the explanations I have been given, the filter's job is to keep harmful debris (pet hair, belly button lint, carpet woofies, etc.) ie: large lightweight particles out of the airstream, and out of the compartment of your furnace where all the expensive stuff is kept: blower, HX, computer, etc... That's all I know, call an esteemed pro for a smarter answer, references available upon request.

I use neither the tightest nor loosest filters available, somewhere in the middle, Garrison makes one labelled "Merv 8", at CTC. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garri ... p.html#srp Two for $10 regular price, never goes on sale.

You are much MUCH further ahead to nip this problem in the bud by vacuuming fastidiously to keep dust out of your return side ducting in the first place, rather than rely on a furnace filter to do it for you. People fall into this thing of "there must be something I can BUY..."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 pm 

B&T402 wrote:

I use neither the tightest nor loosest filters available, somewhere in the middle, Garrison makes one labelled "Merv 8", at CTC. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garri ... p.html#srp Two for $10 regular price, never goes on sale.

"

I have been using the same filter you quoted above for so many years. So now I am inclined to try the sale item as it is just another $3 more for a single one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:08 pm 

B&T402 wrote:

There are always wack-jobs in every trade. Recommending against using a furnace filter is nuts, especially when the easy solution to the issues you point out is simply changing the filter regularly. Yes, filters protect secondary heat exchangers and AC coils from getting clogged / covered with dust but they also improve indoor air quality. That is clearly obvious when looking at any dirty filter

Granted, lots of AC installers recommend people use crappy mesh filters but that's only because it is more difficult for the blower to push the more heavy cool air to the second floor.

Back to normal - this 3 pack deal is good. I have been keeping an eye on filter prices for years and this deal is the best I have seen. It comes with 2 red packed filters and one in purple packaging. Use the purple one for the winter and the red ones the rest of the year. IMO they should be changed 4 to 6 times a year.

No, the "computer", really just a circuit board is not exposed to air flow in the furnace.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:32 pm 

B&T402 wrote:

Well said and I couldn’t have said it better myself !
When I went to GEORGE Brown Technical college for my gas fitters ticket we had to conduct a practical test using a real high efficiency gas forced air furnace with ductwork and all and used an instrument to measure “ Static Pressure “ for air flow ( yeah search that on line because you never heard of it ) and it was scientifically proven that those “ beloved Canadian tire 3M filters “ DO REDUCE “ Static Pressure “ exposing furnaces to parameters far beyond their normal operational patterns !!!!
I have a friend in Milton who moved in back in 2003 and kept using those “ Cheap mesh” filters and his furnace has been working flawlessly for the past 14 years ! His neighbour across the street with exact same furnace using “ beloved 3 m filters or filtrete” religiously, suffered a heat exchanger failure in 2011 yet they both moved in almost at the same time !
It’s imposdiblw to teach old dogs new tricks !
Yeah , talk is very cheap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
There are always wack-jobs in every trade. Recommending against using a furnace filter is nuts,

The advice has been consistent across four service providers and two furnaces. It's standard industry knowledge, and I'm sure you have access to this information. Two of the companies giving me this advice were the "wack-jobs", one being the shittiest company in a 200kM radius of Milton (warnings available upon request). My most recent advisor, with the song same advice, just responded ahead of me.

And also I never said anywhere that someone recommended against using a filter, or suggested that this subject was unimportant. That's just nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 pm 

Carl wrote:
B&T402 wrote:

"

I have been using the same filter you quoted above for so many years. So now I am inclined to try the sale item as it is just another $3 more for a single one.

Carl I think the main thing these filters capture is three more of your dollars. Prediction: you won't notice a speck of difference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 pm 

Folks , here’s pictures of “ furnace computer” that suffered a failure due to being overheated thanks to “ 3M filters “ !!! No heat as a result and it’s only a 2009 furnace what a shame !
If I had to explain the full truth about those filters it would take me forever but for now I will just get on with this !
Nissan Air coming to a furnace repair near you !
http://www.NissanAir.com
Mason

Attachments:
E471B9FE-2CD7-4213-9D96-BF85A3AD53B1.jpeg
E471B9FE-2CD7-4213-9D96-BF85A3AD53B1.jpeg [ 52.54 KiB | Viewed 1630 times ]
146D26E4-3DDE-4E6B-98A3-09F32FB3B4EE.jpeg
146D26E4-3DDE-4E6B-98A3-09F32FB3B4EE.jpeg [ 48.95 KiB | Viewed 1630 times ]
CCC9CA66-E3BB-4A9F-82A2-0522465BE37C.jpeg
CCC9CA66-E3BB-4A9F-82A2-0522465BE37C.jpeg [ 48.36 KiB | Viewed 1630 times ]

Last edited by Nissan Air on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:09 pm 

Nissan Air wrote:
Folks , here’s pictures of “ furnace computer” that suffered a failure due to being overheated thanks to “ 3M filters “ !!! No heat as a result and it’s only a 2009 furnace what a shame !
If I had to explain the full truth about those filters it would take me forever but for now I will just get on with this !

as per your quotes above, the hypothesis is that using filters like 3M can result in more failures for furnace than some cheap ones.

On one hand filters like 3M are considered good quality but at the same time they cause more furnace failures. Contrasting information.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 am 

Hahaha the illustrious home inspector just called the most respected hvac pro on this board “a wackjob.”

Getting my kale chips for this one!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 am 

Of course, dirty restrictive air filters can be hard on a furnace fan but if changed regularly I will never see the advantage of using no filter. Speaking of furnace life - my last Carrier furnace was changed after 20 long healthy years while using the red filtrate filter every day of it's life. In fact, it was not even changed because it died or needed service. It was changed because I got a sweet government rebate on a new one.

Using no filter as first suggested by B&T402 will improve air flow but using no filter will quickly clog the furnace heat exchanger and coat the AC coil above the furnace with all the crap that the filter catches.

Regardless, this topic was just a simple referral to a great rare deal on a good brand of furnace filter. 99.9% of people have and use furnace filters and will continue to use them so feel free to buy them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 am 

Hodor wrote:
Hahaha the illustrious home inspector just called the most respected hvac pro on this board “a wackjob.”

Getting my kale chips for this one!!

Oh Hodor,,,,

Such an imaginative child.

Like usual you do not read comments so your response and false accusation is out of wack as well.

Nissan never suggested using NO filter, and I never called him "a whackjob". He simply suggested using cheap mesh filters because the air flow is better.

Pay attention Hodor :roll:

I think everyone could agree that regardless of what filter is used, if it is dirty and clogged then that is hard on the furnace.