HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Hodor wrote:
Hahaha the illustrious home inspector just called the most respected hvac pro on this board “a wackjob.”

Getting my kale chips for this one!!

Oh Hodor,,,,

Such an imaginative child.

Like usual you do not read comments so your response and false accusation is out of wack as well.

Nissan never suggested using NO filter, and I never called him "a whackjob". He simply suggested using cheap mesh filters because the air flow is better.

Pay attention Hodor :roll:

I think everyone could agree that regardless of what filter is used, if it is dirty and clogged then that is hard on the furnace.

OMG I just spit my alkaline water all over the screen!! What a hilarious “old people internet” response.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:54 am 

Like usual you do not read comments so your response is out of wack as well.

Absolute comedy gold right there ^^

Where you fudged up in reading my first post, HHI, is by leaping to the conclusion that my use of "these things" referred to all furnace filters in general. WRONG! I was referring to the malarkey-based marketing washes of these products, claptrap invented in board rooms designed to ensnare the internet-educated who think "there MUST be something I can BUY..." Voila dear consumer, there IS something you can buy. Classic marketing tactic, leveraging fear to score a victory, another form of FOMO perhaps.

The filters that I have settled on are the simplest ones that incorporate a metal meshwork for rigidity, as a hedge against the filter being drawn into the blower somehow. A very small chance of occurring course, but you can file that under "equipment protection" if you wish. I am diligent in replacing filters at least four times per year, I think more often is unnecessary since I am immune to marketing fear and I tend to vacuum properly and frequently. Again that's the advice of an actual HVAC professional, and I'm sure you know this. The fact that they use the phrase "Allergen Reduction" on their packaging is not the attractant for me, if you know how to read marketing and advertising you will see the Garrison people do not use anywhere near the half-truths and horseshoes that the more affluent companies do, I'll bet 3M spends more on marketing than they do on product development.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:58 am 

B&T402 wrote:
A furnace filter is meant to protect your equipment not "clean" your air, these marketing claims are malarkey. If you expect your air handling equipment to clean your air, you're looking for specific (very spendy) equipment to do that. I've had more than a few HVAC people over the years advise against these things on a normal furnace, that they cause your blower to over work especially as they start to fill up with dust.

Nissan Air wrote:
Well said and I couldn’t have said it better myself !

I have a friend in Milton who moved in back in 2003 and kept using those “ Cheap mesh” filters and his furnace has been working flawlessly for the past 14 years ! His neighbour across the street with exact same furnace using “ beloved 3 m filters or filtrete” religiously, suffered a heat exchanger failure in 2011 yet they both moved in almost at the same time !

There are always wack-jobs in every trade. Recommending against using a furnace filter is nuts

The proof is in the proverbial pudding.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:04 am 

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 am 

Like I said - great deal on furnace filters for the 99.9 percent of people who use them.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-multipack-furnace-filters-2-micro-and-1-ultra-0645310p.html#srp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:05 am 

Like I said - great deal on furnace filters for the 99.9 percent of people who use them.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-multipack-furnace-filters-2-micro-and-1-ultra-0645310p.html#srp

A local HVAC technician actually recommended AGAINST using these.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 am 

But they're on a suspiciously huge markdown sale. You just don't get it do you Hodor...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:47 pm 

These filters on sale, I can't tell or see any mention of the "Merv #" anybody know the equivalent merv on these puppies. 8...11...or higher?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:29 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
These filters on sale, I can't tell or see any mention of the "Merv #" anybody know the equivalent merv on these puppies. 8...11...or higher?

Apparently they are both merv 11.

The 3 pack on sale comes with 2 red packaged filters ( the one I prefer ) and it has a 1000 filtration level and 1 other purple packaged filter with a 1500 filtration level. Of course they all have an airflow guarantee provided you change them every three months. I change mine a bit more often because our furnace fan is on the ON setting not the AUTO setting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:30 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
But they're on a suspiciously huge markdown sale. You just don't get it do you Hodor...

It must be my imaginative child-like mind!

(which, I might add, is better than a senile-old-man-like mind)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:20 pm 

I used to use the 3m filters, purple if i remember correct. I fell for the filter as much dust as possible thought. Had Mason over to do an AC move. I complained about my air flow. He then changed my blower motor to a slightly stronger one. same rpm but stonger than the undersized unit my furnace shipped with. Then he also suggested I "downgrade" my filters. I took the advise and tried this.

He was correct. the air flow off the lower end filters I now use is a million times better. It is common sense that a less restricting filter will give better air flow I just never realized how much more restricting my "better" filters were.

this all being said I found myself much happier with the performance I have seen out of the cheaper filters.

The ones I use still have metal reinforcing so I feel safe using them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 pm 

007 wrote:
I used to use the 3m filters, purple if i remember correct. I fell for the filter as much dust as possible thought. Had Mason over to do an AC move. I complained about my air flow. He then changed my blower motor to a slightly stronger one. same rpm but stonger than the undersized unit my furnace shipped with. Then he also suggested I "downgrade" my filters. I took the advise and tried this.

He was correct. the air flow off the lower end filters I now use is a million times better. It is common sense that a less restricting filter will give better air flow I just never realized how much more restricting my "better" filters were.

this all being said I found myself much happier with the performance I have seen out of the cheaper filters.

So the filters you are now using are what "Merv #" 8 or less?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:48 am 

007 wrote:
I used to use the 3m filters, purple if i remember correct. I fell for the filter as much dust as possible thought.

Yes, using the purple filters to move heavy air conditioned air is not an ideal situation. I use the red filter throughout the year. I'm sure the stronger fan has a lot to do with the increase in air flow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:44 am 

Greenjp wrote:
007 wrote:

So the filters you are now using are what "Merv #" 8 or less?

Currently Merv 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:50 am 

007 wrote:
I used to use the 3m filters, purple if i remember correct. I fell for the filter as much dust as possible thought.

Yes, using the purple filters to move heavy air conditioned air is not an ideal situation. I use the red filter throughout the year. I'm sure the stronger fan has a lot to do with the increase in air flow.

The reason the filter was pointed out is with the stronger motor the airflow on my longest run was still horrible.

The stronger motor has more HP but same RPM as you do not want higher rpm but thats a whole other topic. Stronger lets it deal with resistance better but essentially its still moving air at the same speed in most cases.

To be specific he cleaned my a-coil which seemed to help a little, changed motor helped a little, pointed out I should really try a less restricting filter so I listened and am glad.

Just sharing a real life experience.

The fiance has bad allergies at times of the year and this ear we actually picked up a very restrictive filter again to see if it would help and honestly ended up removing it a few hours later due to the air flow dropping so much, I was like wow I forgot how bad it was.

Now in my scenario there is the main duct which is long like and L and then a very long run off the end total distance from furnace on this run and after every other exit is about 65 maybe 70 ft, in a scenario less extreme might be less noticeable?