HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:22 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
007 wrote:
I used to use the 3m filters, purple if i remember correct. I fell for the filter as much dust as possible thought.

Yes, using the purple filters to move heavy air conditioned air is not an ideal situation. I use the red filter throughout the year. I'm sure the stronger fan has a lot to do with the increase in air flow.

So if you don't use the purple ones, what do you do with them?

I think I can see the purpose of this "sale". I see also at CTC they have their single pack "600 Arbitrary Unit" filter on for half price too. Safe to guess that's a Merv 8 filter? and if so still 60% more expensive than Garrison' s Merv 8 item at regular price.

Here: https://strivenindustries.zendesk.com/h ... _site=true

Quote:
Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, or MERV for short, is a filter rating system devised by ASHRAE, the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers, to standardize and simplify air filter efficiency ratings for the public. The higher the MERV rating, the higher the effectiveness of the air filter

Microparticle  Performance Rating, or MPR for short, is a filter rating system developed by 3M to rate a filters ability to cature the smallest airborne particles. The higher the MPR rating the better the filters ability to capture particles from the air. This system helps in comparing 3M filters, but is not directly comparable to the MERV rating system.

If your filter at home is rated by the MPR system, here is a table to show you what the comparable MERV rating would be.

MPR rating       Comparable MERV rating

Last edited by B&T402 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:12 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
So if you don't use the purple ones, what do you do with them?

I will use them in the winter when warm air is easier for the furnace fan to push around, but only for a month and then replace them. At $8. each it's no big deal. Typically I always use the red ones all year and change them 4 or 5 times a year. That works for us, good air flow and good filtration, and it worked for our last 20 year old furnace.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:49 pm 

I'm a HUGE Mason fan and I went against his advice slightly and kept with a pleated filter. BUT I went with the lowest MERV rating at 8 you can get in pleated. They are still awesome for air flow, but give that tiny bit more particle trapping (lots of allergies in my house). I use these ones (2 for 9.99). Mason still patted me on the back when he saw them for not going with the 3M blower motor killing crap :)

At this cost, I change my filter every month (yes every month). $60 a year is nothing to keep from having to spend $5-600 on a new blower motor.

http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm ... ters&Num=0