HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:56 pm 

Having worked in hundreds of homes in HV doing some very specific jobs, I've come to recognise a few things of common concern that I want you upcoming homeowners to be aware. If you notice any of these things during your PDI, please mark them on the PDI and hopefully they will be taken care of before you move in:

1) Is your garage door balanced?
Meaning, can you move the door half way up, let go and have it stay right there? If the door moves on it's own up or down, then the door is out of balance. This means the door will be easy to open but difficult to close, or vice versa. This is not the way it should be, make on your PDI that the door is out of balance and that it should be fixed. I'd say about 30% of the doors that I have seen in the last few months in HVE are out of balance.

2) Did you pay for the upgrade to get your central vac pipe run to the garage?
No? Then during your PDI, look for where the vac inlets are. Then look in the basement for where the pipes should be dropped down to the basement ceiling. They are usually very easy to find because there will be a wire dangling down with the pipe. If you do not see the pipe, but happen to see some duct work.. then this is a problem. I've seen a few houses recently where the central vac pipe has been burried into the cold-air returns. This is illegal, this pipe is not rated for use in that space. Mark it on your PDI to have them fix it. Unfortunately this can happen very easily when the vac guy comes in before the hvac guy. The only person who would notice is the hvac guy.

3) Did your attic get filled with sprayfoam?
If so, it is very unlikely that you will be able to add any new TV/telephone jacks, speakers, or anything else requiring wire to your second floor. If you purchased a conduit from basement to attic, then this conduit is no longer useful.

4) Is there an electrical outlet in your garage near where the central vacuum would go?
Some houses I have been to recently have missed this.

Last edited by BuildingHomes.ca on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am 

Yes thank you!
I haven't looked in my attic and i did pay for the conduit.
I will be very upset if I find (which I probably will) spray foam.
Mattamy better be refunding my money for the useless conduit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:31 am 

NHII wrote:
...to the best of my knowledge the conduit can still be install and dropped to the basement, the tube will be protruding up above the foam.

I think the problem there is that even though you can still run cables into the attic, you will still need to break through the foam to hook those cables up to whatever they need to be hooked up to. Even so, technically it's still possible (just a lot more work than moving some blown insulation aside). Based on that alone, I suspect that Mattamy's response will be no refund. They will just tell you to remove the foam as needed, after all, the conduit is "still usable".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:41 pm 

Gecko wrote:
They will just tell you to remove the foam as needed, after all, the conduit is "still usable".

Yes and no.

You would need to remove a large portion of the foam in order to find the wall topplate to drill down through.

I can usually do that in a few minutes with blown insulation. But spray foam, I won't even attempt it. It would be too costly to the home owner to guess where it needs to be removed from, hope you hit it, and then replace it afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:43 pm 

Agreed. I didn't say it would be practical (or easy, cheap, etc) to do this, but since it's technically possible, I can see Mattamy telling you that your conduit is still "usable".