HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Milton Dump
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am 

Yep ...... it's new ...... right on Louis St Laurent, just past the new highschool's dirt lot, all the way to Thompson. Just throw out anything you want at the side of the road on St Laurent. And the best part ?? It's free and you probably won't get caught doing it.

So let's all get together and do what the other a**holes are doing ...... just throwing away all their crap on the side of the road off LSL.

I am pissed beyond belief at what I saw on my way home from Metro this morning. There is WAY more crap now then there was when I drove by on Sunday afternoon. Are the people who live facing LSL blind to all this ?? Or are they the culprits ??

I can't get my head wrapped around the fact that people are that RUDE as to do this.

For all we know - this is what is drawing the wildlife closer to us (coyote's)..... hey free food (come on - we all know not everyone composts - so there HAS to be food waste in those bags, no one want's stinky food garbage hanging around for 2 weeks).

I know this thread has been discussed before - but obviously people just don't bloody well get it ......

Colin ?? Is there something that can be done ??

Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 am 

A cost effective solution would be to mount a fake camera with a big sign proclaiming that the area is monitered 24 hours a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 am 

I don't get it either, people have no respect. I thought the same thing last week when I drove by the new dump.

Question, now what are we going to do about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21 am 
Altough I'm not a huge fan of snitching, in this case, I'd say the town/police can start by talking to the home owners that can see this new dump and to be observant and take down plate numbers, etc of those cheap asses who can't pay $5 to go to the legal dump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:23 am 

There is something that can be done. The region can resume weekly garbage pickup, and drop the 6 bag limit.

While I find the bi-weekly pickup reasonable, and there is no excuse for illegal dumping, we need to admit that the current garbage system encourages people to dump their garbage illegally.

When the garbage man leaves a bag of garbage behind, because someone had 7 bags after spring cleaning (or whatever), it’s inevitable that some people will get pissed and just dump it somewhere.

In the summer I dread my garage. If even the tiniest bit of food residue makes it into my garbage it’s a fly fest after a week of storing the stuff in a hot garage. I’ve dumped offending bags in my parents business dumpster just to get it out of my garage. I’m sure others just toss it into a field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 am 

Ya that is horrible - last weekend I saw some families out with their kids picking up garbage and I think its a great idea!

but something definately needs to be done about Louis St. Laurent..... that is terrible...

Valerie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:29 am 

bremer wrote:
There is something that can be done. The region can resume weekly garbage pickup, and drop the 6 bag limit.

While I find the bi-weekly pickup reasonable, and there is no excuse for illegal dumping, we need to admit that the current garbage system encourages people to dump their garbage illegally.

When the garbage man leaves a bag of garbage behind, because someone had 7 bags after spring cleaning (or whatever), it’s inevitable that some people will get pissed and just dump it somewhere.

In the summer I dread my garage. If even the tiniest bit of food residue makes it into my garbage it’s a fly fest after a week of storing the stuff in a hot garage. I’ve dumped offending bags in my parents business dumpster just to get it out of my garage. I’m sure others just toss it into a field.

Even before the garbage schedule changed the same crap happened - its just ppl who don't care...about keeping the Town they live in clean!

Valerie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:44 am 

Our recycling would take up too much room if it were only picked up every two weeks. I have five kids in diapers here all week and we have no problem with the bi-weekly pick up.

I think that milton_mommy has the best idea for getting people to stop dumping their garbage. Tear open the bags and deliver them back. The town should be able to do that and fine them. Make it enough to pay the wages of the people cleaning up after them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 am 

yes - and I saw what looked like was one of those umbrella strollers - so it's someone with small kids that did that one pile of dumping !! Great example your setting for your kids !!

I too agree w/miltonmommy ...... man I would feel so 'compensated' to do that ......

There has to be something 'legal' we can do .......

how funny it would be to be driving down LSL TOMORROW - and seeing all this s**t, and then realizing - hey - it's EARTH DAY TODAY !! But Milton obviously doesn't care about 'their' earth, well at least not the earth on LSL !!

Jo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:16 pm 

csb101 wrote:
Altough I'm not a huge fan of snitching, in this case, I'd say the town/police can start by talking to the home owners that can see this new dump and to be observant and take down plate numbers, etc of those cheap asses who can't pay $5 to go to the legal dump.

I hate illegal dumpers too but I can assure you the last time I brought a reasonable amount of garbage to the dump it was more like $45.00 which seemed outrageous to me. I wonder how Halton's rates are with other regions??

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 pm 

I have never had a huge issue with the current garbage schedule. If I miss a week for some reason then I just grin and bear it. If you know you wont be around for garbage day have you though of asking a neighbour to put it out for you? Justa thought.

As for the dumb, I would be more than happy to donate my time to help clean it up if the town could provide a garbage truck and driver for us to put it in. But I would also want some form of assurance that it wont get that way again and/or anyone dumping would actually get fined. Guess that means we wont be cleaning it up anytime soon then :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 pm 

I find the current garbage schedule to be just fine. When recycling was every two weeks, it was ridiculous - we had 3 recycling boxes + shopping bags + cardboard boxes falling all over the place in our garage trying to store two weeks' worth of recyclables.

Since we've started using the green cart, I estimate our garbage has been cut by 60% at least. We used to put out two full garbage cans plus another bag or two each week - now we put out one full can (3 bags tops) every other week -- granted, our youngest also graduated from diapers around the time the green cart was introduced so I'm sure that's helped -- but I have no issues with garbage collection every other week.

I'm sure we've all had an excess of garbage to get rid of at one time or another -- why dump it illegally? Just make a trip out to the landfill or, god forbid, store that one or two extra bags until the next collection. Pain in the butt? Yes, but still better than dumping it somewhere for someone else to deal with.

The 'dumpers' are most likely people not participating in the green cart program for one of many possible reasons and therefore have 6+ bags...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:48 pm 

I have no issues with the garbage being every 2 weeks. Even then I am rarely at my 6 bag limit (1 child in diapers). I agree that recycling every 2 weeks wasn't good. I was overflowing, this system is much better. If there are times when I'm going to be away, I've been known to drop it at my parents house for their pick-up or in the event of extra bags on pick-up day I will ask a neighbour if I can add my bags to theirs if they are under the limit. I would have issues if a neighbour asked me for the same favour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 pm 

Don't go blaming the garbage schedule. Most of the stuff being dumped there isn't picked up by regular garbage anyways. People are just to friggin lazy and cheap to take it to the dump (which is less than 10 mins from LSL).

I make 3-4 trips to the dump every year which most of the time costs me $5 each time .. sometimes 10 if I have a lot of stuff. If you have a trailer and you are taking heavy loads they weigh it and you play based on weight.

If I see someone dumping and I see a police car shortly thereafter I flag them down and they do charge the individuals.

The a$$holes that dump there crap at the side of LSL are most likely the same individuals that have to throw their coffee cups and other crap out the window of their cars. Screw banning pesticides .. bann these idiots ... now I'm just venting.

I do like the idea of dumping the stuff back on their property ... I'd like to do the same to the dog owners that don't pick up after their dogs as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:46 pm 

zhamid wrote:
I think the garbage schedule is designed to encourage recycling.

Interestingly, I sometimes get so annoyed by this "encouragement" that I throw out blue/green bin material. I have kids in diapers, and like a previous poster, I am sometimes not home on the ordained Monday, which means that I end up with a month's worth of diapers in my fairly small house.

I imagine that "once every two weeks" concept was made up by somebody without infants at home... or with a large house.

Quote:
Of course weekly garbage collection would be better, but it would cost more too.

I would be interested to know how much extra it would cost per household to have weekly regular garbage pickup... only 3 bags a week though. I imagine it would be surprisingly cheap.